***THIS RECIPE FROM 2013 IS IN THE PROCESS OF GETTING A MAKEOVER. PLEASE CHECK BACK LATER FOR THE UPDATE***
Just a handful of ingredients make up this Tomato Cabbage Soup. Hearty, yet very low calorie at just 85 calories per Cup!
The first step it to soften the onions.
Slice the cabbage into very thin strips.
I like to cook the cabbage down until it is just tender, but still has some bite to it.
Now add the remaining ingredients, bring to a boil and simmer until it thickens a bit and the cabbage is as tender as you’d like it.
And that’s it. This quick and easy soup is ready to enjoy. It also freezes really well. I like to portion it out into serving sized, freezer-safe bowls so it’s ready when I want it. Serve with a slice of garlic bread, if desired.
If you make this recipe for Cabbage Soup, leave a comment below and let me know what you think.
Tomato Cabbage Soup
- 1 Tbl Vegetable Oil
- 1 Small Onion chopped
- 1-1/2 Lb Cabbage
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 15 ounce can of Crushed Tomatoes
- 4 cups of Vegetable Stock
- Tabasco Sauce to taste
- 1 or 2 Tbl Brown Sugar to taste
- In a large pot, heat oil on medium high and add the onion. Cook for about a minute or two.
- Thinly slice the cabbage and add to the onions.
- Stir frequently and cook until cabbage and onions soften.
- Add the salt, broth and crushed tomatoes. Reduce heat to medium and cover. Cook for about 15-20 minutes or until cabbage is tender, but still has a little bite to it.
- Stir in Tabasco and brown sugar to taste. You can adjust this to your liking.