Keeping on the theme of simple is best, I think you’ll love these little individual vegan Tomato Gratin appetizers. Flavor-wise, think Caprese without the mozzarella. You could, of course, make a larger version and serve family-style. Tri-colored cherry tomatoes would be lovely as well.
Less than 10 ingredients make up this dish (and that includes salt & pepper)!
Let’s make this vegan Tomato Gratin!
I layered the shallots & garlic on the bottom of the dish. This is a nice way to add flavor without affecting presentation. Next comes the halved tomatoes that you’ll season with salt and pepper. Lastly, a drizzle of balsamic vinegar and a the topping which is comprised of Panko bread crumbs & vegan parmesan.
Bake until tomatoes are bubbling and the topping is golden brown. These individual ceramic dishes are only oven-safe to 350 degrees, so I just placed them on the top shelf in the oven. They took about 20 minutes or so.
I grow my own fresh basil, so I sprinkled with a few sprigs on top. Allow to cool slightly and serve warm. Season with additional salt or pepper, if desired.
You might also enjoy:
- 1 handful of Grape if making a larger portion, use plum or Roma, Cherry or other small round tomatoes, halved
- 2 Shallots minced
- 1 Clove Garlic minced
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Pepper
- Splash of Balsamic Vinegar about 1-1/2 tsp
- 1 Tbl of Vegan Parmesan
- 1 Tbl Panko Breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbl Fresh Basil
- This recipe makes 2 individual sized portions. Just double/triple the recipe to serve family-style.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Scatter the minced shallots & garlic evenly in the bottom of the two baking dishes. No oil necessary.
- Arrange the tomatoes over the top, staggering them as shown in the photo.
- Season with the salt and pepper and drizzle the balsamic.
- Combine the vegan parmesan and breadcrumbs and sprinkle over the tomatoes.
- Bake until bubbly and the breadcrumbs are golden. Allow to cool slightly.
- Serve with fresh basil.
If you make this recipe, tag your photo on Instagram @theveglife1 so I can see 🙂