This Roasted Tomato Soup is so incredibly simple, I don’t know why I haven’t shared it with you before! It is comprised of roasted tomatoes, onions, celery and carrots along with one surprise ingredient. Potatoes. I know, kind of crazy, right? But stick with me. The potatoes help act as a binder and give that velvety, creamy texture without the addition of actual cream. Of course, you could opt to add a vegan creamer, but I’ll leave that up to you.
Once the veggies are roasted to perfection, you’ll already begin to smell the deliciousness. They get pureed in a food processor or blender. To that puree, we’ll be adding a bit of marinara (store bought is fine) and to thin it out, vegetable broth. Season it up and you have an amazing soup that barely took any work at all!
The first step is to prep your veggies. I roasted everything together, cutting the potatoes the smallest since they take the longest to cook. Toss with a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper. You can also add dried herbs if you wish.
Allow to cool for a few minutes before blending, remembering that hot foods expand in the blender. No kitchen accidents allowed in the making of this recipe please 🙂
Once pureed, add the veggie broth and marinara. Taste for seasoning and spice it up however you wish. If you have a high powered blender such as Vitamix or Blendtec, they actually heat up food the longer you process. However, you may want to return to the stove to reheat after processing.
I like to serve it with crunchy homemade croutons and fresh parsley. Pair it with a vegetarian or vegan grilled cheese. Oh, and if you wanted to make this a CREAM of tomato soup, choose a non-dairy creamer and/or coconut milk and add at the end of the cooking process.
If you make this recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup, plesae leave a comment and let me know what you thought.
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links.
Roasted Tomato Soup
- 6 ripe Roma Tomatoes halved
- 1 Onion cut into large chunks
- 1 Russet Potato cut into small cubes
- 1 stalk Celery cut into large dice
- 1 large Carrot cut into medium dice
- Salt & Pepper
- Basil or other dried herbs to taste
- 1 tsp Olive Oil for cooking vegetables
- 1-1/2 C Marinara Sauce store bought is fine
- 1 C Vegetable Broth
- Homemade or store bought croutons
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- On a sheet pan, toss together the potatoes, onions, carrots, celery and tomatoes with the olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Roast until veggies are fork tender. Allow to cool slightly before proceeding.
- Remove all of the veggies from the sheet pan to a food processor or high speed blender. Process to a puree.
- Add the marinara and enough veggie broth to the blender to thin.
- Pour back into a saucepan to reheat.
- Serve with your favorite vegetarian or vegan grilled cheese or simply homemade croutons.