Ultimate Mushroom Burger
- 1 Tbl Olive Oil plus more for frying
- 2 8 ounce packages of slice fresh baby bella mushrooms
- ¼ of an Onion
- 1 Clove Minced Garlic
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Pepper
- 1/3 C Rolled Oats
- ½ C Dried Panko Bread Crumbs
- Almond Milk
- ¼ C vegan Grated Parmesan-Style Cheese
- Vegan margine spread such as Earth Balance
- Vegan swiss-style cheese slices
- Sliced button mushrooms for topping
- Seasoning Salt or other powdered seasoning if desired
- Heat 1 Tbl of oil in a frying pan and saute the baby bellas, the onion and garlic over medium high heat. Season with salt and pepper. Cook until the mushrooms have become tender and the juice has almost evaporated. This will take about 10-15 minutes.
- Transfer to a cutting board and chop the mushrooms into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the mushrooms, rolled oats and bread crumbs. Taste for seasoning and adjust if needed. Add the cheese and the almond milk. Let stand for 15 minutes until the mixture absorbs any excess moisture.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Shape into appropriate sized rounds
- and pan fry the mushroom burgers until slightly browned and cooked through. This should take about 5 minutes, flipping once.
- To assemble, split the pretzel roll in half. Spread vegan margarine on each half. Working from the bottom up, add the mushroom burger, the cheese slices, the sliced mushrooms piled high. I add seasoning salt on the sliced mushrooms. Top with the other half. We skewered ours to hold everything together.
[bha size=’234×60′ variation=’05’ align=’aligncenter’]